I got an iPod touch 4th generation for Christmas. This is a huge upgrade (previously, I used an iPod touch 2nd generation). Here’s my mini-review.
- Multitasking! Finally!
- The Retina Display is amazing. I used to think it wasn’t a big deal, but after actually looking at it for a while, I changed my mind. This blows every other display away. Now, when I look at my iMac, I actually notice the pixels.
- Performance is much better than the iPod touch 2nd generation, but once in a while animations lag. This is especially noticeable when opening/closing apps.
- Battery life seems very strong. I’ve been using it since last night, playing games, reading, and browsing the web. Still about 80% remaining. So if in one day it drops 20%, this should last for about 5 days.
- The flat back is a plus. When I place it on a desk, it doesn’t wobble. Although @kevinchen says that it will scratch easily…
- The camera supposedly is only one megapixel but the mere existence of one is an upgrade. iPod touch 2nd generation has no camera.
- Not a huge fan of the lock button placement. It’s on the right side now instead of the left. Also, since the profile of the iPod is so thin, the button is practically on the back. Locking the device is now a fun finger dexterity exercise.
- The home button feels really cheap. The old one had a “clicky” feel to it; this one is like plastic. I wonder when it will break.
- I was looking through the Crash logs at ~/Library/Logs/CrashReporter/MobileDevice and found a ton of crashes and low memory warnings. Multitasking really puts a strain on the device. And when the OS quits apps that you haven’t used in a while, it doesn’t do it cleanly.
- When I upgraded to iOS 4.2 (it came with iOS 4.1), Music.app said that I had no content. Luckily, there was an easy fix.
- Non-retina apps are an eyesore. I’ve deleted most of them. Unfortunately, I need a Spanish dictionary and SpanishDict, which isn’t Retina ready, is one of the better ones. Seriously, search the App Store for “spanish dictionary.” All of them are ugly.
- It’s really hard to complain about this device.
Bottom Line: If you don’t want to pay $1400 for an iPhone 4 ($200 + $50 service for 24 months), the iPod touch ($230) is for you.
Oh and happy almost new year!